"You impose on people burdens hard to carry, but you yourselves do not lift one finger to touch them". (Luke 11:46)
The more the Legion binds its members the more they imagine that the Church is a command and control center in the image of the Legion.
"Rome hasn't TOLD us, so business as usual". "I'm waiting for Rome". "I'm not leaving, because I am obedient". "Whatever Rome want us to change we'll change it"
Or as one good soul misled by the Legion wrote:
"I would gladly leave RC and the Legion in disgust (because I don't want to be associated with sin and scandal anymore than anyone else) if God gave me leave to do so, but He has not. Just like He never gave me leave to abandon my husband or my children."What could be more destructive than re-imaging the Church in the image of the Legion?
1) The Legion binds where the Church doesn't.
2) The Legion hides from its members the freedom that is fundamental to the life of the Church.
3) The Legion's obedience is like a blank check to a fictitious entity. Rome does not proscribe like the Legion does, so Maciel knew his imaginary check would never be cashed.
4) Maciel's survivors imagine they are bound to implement what never existed.
5) Those outside the Legion falsely conclude that this all proves that christian obedience is unhealthy.
This false notion of the Church Militant as a command and control center is the great scandal of the Legion.